Sunday, December 21, 2008

Shack-like Truth

The following is an excerpt from a letter I wrote regarding the reading of The Shack. I hope you find it insightful in some way as well...


"I’m sure you’ve heard of at least some of the controversy of this book. It is a better thing if you have not. Some say it is blasphemous, while others say it is a new revelation from God. I have read it and found it neither. It was not written to be regarded as absolute truth (as is explained in the forward), meaning it cannot be either of these things. No, it was written, rather, to raise questions and get people thinking. To get people to look at God through perspectives they have not yet considered before. To challenge people to relate with God on a more intimate level. And make you think, it does!

"Many of the aspects of God addressed and represented here I find to be truth. Others I am still contemplating: could there really be some shreds of truth in this? The truth is found in the principles behind the literal authored work. One thing can be sure and is evidenced by the messages in this work of literature: God is much too grandiose to be understood or grasped.

"So I... ask you read it with an open mind, well attuned to God’s Spirit. Please do not judge it prematurely. Read it not factually but metaphorically. And enjoy it! After all, I firmly believe God wants us to enjoy Him, life, and His creation."

2 comments:

  1. Amazing book and much wisdom in your words. It can be easy to be turned off by the reviews and not see for yourself. Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment on the book is GREAT and Hal is blessed to have you give this gift to him. Thanks for letting me read your copy. It was amazing. And yes, it should be read with an open mind. All in all, I commend the author for such a prespective. Hope to see a movie come out of it. God is SO GRAND and AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete