Saturday, May 16, 2009

Open Airwaves

Communication. We all do it. Often we fail to do it, or at least fail to do it effectively. But it is key to this thing we call life. Key to every single relationship we will ever find ourselves in - professionally, with our families, friends, romantic relationships, and so on. So why do we run from it? Why are we just okay with struggling with it and being poor communicators?

Communication comes in all shapes and sizes. Verbal, visual, physical. The list goes on. It is not just words, but the way the words are used. The way you present yourself. Body language as well as written and verbal language. While we will never be masters, we should try all the time to become masters of it. Besides, it must be important because the Bible talks about communication more than most any other topic - the power of the mouth.

So what are you afraid of? Maybe you're like me, and you're afraid of pushing people away by saying or doing things that may hurt a loved one's feelings and in turn you will be shut out or rejected, feeling unloved and unwanted. Or maybe you're like others who are simply not open because being vulnerable and living life in the raw can be so hard and so painful.

After a long and deep conversation last night I can honestly say that I am going to try and put these fears out. More times than not, these fears are unrealistic. Think about it, if you really love someone and they communicate something difficult with you, are you going to push them away or is it going to draw you closer? I know if it were me, I would pull them in closer to me, making the love grow deeper! So why should I be afraid that when I'm on the other end that I will be pushed away instead of pulled in? How silly!

Trust me, they want to know what you're going through - good and bad. Trust. Believe. Open up. Be yourself. There is probably nothing you could say or do, if it is real, that would make them reject you or that would offend them in any way lasting. And that's how beautiful relationships are when they are being lived out the way they are meant to be and in God's will!


So now I set out on a journey to be utterly open to the one(s) that matter most. To have a more healthy view of myself and trust in the fact that the love is there and will not turn me away but pull me in even deeper into this thing that is one of the most wonderful things I have ever come by here on earth! It will be hard and painful but oh so beautiful the same!!

2 comments:

  1. a lot of times when we communicate we forget the otheer person needs to decode what we are saying. we expect them to but if we are not clear the message gets lost and that is not the receivers problem...we can be pretty careless with our mouths...what goes in and what comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how true that is! we must be an open filter, letting things through but only in wise and thoughtful ways. Ephesians 4:29 FTW

    ReplyDelete